As well as borrowing for the purchase of a home, your client may borrow extra money:
- Additional borrowing with a remortgage
- Borrowing on a mortgage free property
The purpose of the borrowing must be detailed in full on the mortgage application form.
Nationwide can lend for the following:
- Structural home improvements
- Non-structural home improvements
- Buy final share in shared ownership
- Buy additional share in shared ownership
- Buy a share in a freehold
- Buy freehold or new extended lease
- Buy land to extend security (current property)
Loans can be used for non-home improvement purposes, or a combination of home improvements and non-home improvements, up to 80% LTV only.
- Buy land and/or property separate from security - current property*
- Repay unsecured debts
- Other personal consumption
- Pay off second charge
- Buy out partner's interest (non-borrower)
*The land and/or property can't be for the purpose of letting.
Loans for home improvement purposes where the LTV is 85% or below will normally be released on receipt of the signed 'Acceptance of Offer' (lower restrictions may apply for remortgages please refer to our LTV criteria).
Where available, loans above 85% LTV will be released in stages if the new debt exceeds 85% of the value of the property in its current condition. Where this happens, we will require invoices for the full cost of any non-structural work, or a re-inspection by our Valuer on completion of any structural work. Contact us for full details.
Remortgages include capital raising on a mortgage free property.
We do not accept remortgage applications for:
- Partially built properties
- Partially completed barn conversions
- Building plots
- Let properties
Remortgages between 80% - 85% LTV can either be used to increase borrowing for home improvement or for remortgaging to Nationwide on a like-for-like basis (i.e. the same amount in £s as your current mortgage).
Remortgages higher than 85% LTV can only be used to remortgage to Nationwide on a like-for-like basis (i.e. the same amount in £s as your current mortgage).
Shared Ownership and Right to Buy
Additional borrowing for debt consolidation is not permitted.
Subsequent additional borrowing
Subsequent additional borrowing is available via our direct channels only, customers should be directed to their nearest Nationwide branch, or Nationwide.co.uk. Subsequent additional borrowing applications cannot be accepted if less than 6 months have passed since the date of completion of the main loan, or if the mortgaged property is being let out.
To submit the case on NFI Online or MTE the LTV must be within maximum lending limits based on the current value.
Nationwide can consider lending for the following second property uses:
- Holiday homes in the UK or abroad (where the property being purchased is abroad, the loan must be secured on a property in the UK).
- Second homes due to work location (Pied a terre).
- Accommodation for wholly dependent relatives.
- A new main residence where the applicant wishes to let their existing property rather than sell it. For more information on the Let to Buy process with our subsidiary brand The Mortgage Works, visit our Buy to Let / Let to Buy page
Nationwide will not consider for the following second property uses:
- Capital raising against a main residence to purchase a 'buy to let' i.e. remortgage with additional borrowing, subsequent additional borrowing or raising capital against a mortgage free property.
- Properties that will be wholly let from inception.
- Properties on lifetime tenancies and properties purchased or remortgaged from relatives with continuing occupancy.
- Properties that are only likely to be suitable as holiday homes.
- Time Shares.
- Mobile Homes.
Affordability figure needs to cover all mortgages that will be outstanding at the time of completion, please also see clients with additional properties.
Where your client will own more than one property on completion of their new loan with Nationwide the maximum LTV is 85%. Purchase applications for these clients should be keyed as a Second Property even if the property being purchased will be your client's main residence.
For information about products please see our products, loan size and maximum LTV criteria.